Saturday, December 22, 2007

News from the archives


I confess, when I was a little boy growing up I detested seeing the hills come alive which I'm sure had something to do with wanting to annoy my sister who loved it. But little boys do what little boys must. I never sat down and actually watched it until last Christmas and for my first viewing of it as an adult, I loved it. I honed in on more of the historical aspects which kept my interest during the movie. I was trying to find out when it would be on television this year and in the process stumbled upon a wonderful article from 2005 at the National Archives website. The article has recollections of the real von Trapp family and is filled with fascinating aspects of their real history which was not as depicted on the big screen or in the original play. As one von Trapp family member put it, the real story is in a way more dramatic than what was written for the musical and movie versions. If your a fan of the SOM you might want to read the article yourself. Follow this link.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens
Bright copper kettles and warm woolen mittens
Brown paper packages tied up with strings
These are a few of my favorite things.....I made my boys watch it with me a couple of years ago and they thanked me for it. The real story is stunning. I have read about the family also.
do a deer a female deer, ray a drop of golden sun.
The Mrs. sis